Oculus Rift bought by Face Book

Sharky Forums

Thread: Oculus Rift bought by Face Book

Thumbs down Oculus Rift bought by Face Book

Oh well I guess I won't be buying one after all.

I know they will make you sign up for Face Book for support, and I refuse to have anything to do with social networking.
    War... War never changes.

Love all the hate this story is getting. Haven't announced a single detail and people are flipping their s***. From a financial standpoint it's certainly promising to have that kind of capital behind you.
    My armor is Contempt
    My shield is Disgust
    My sword is Hatred
    In the Emperor's Name
    LET NONE SURVIVE

"Watches You Sleep" Shark taggart6's Avatar
    I find the outrage hilarious. So many people up in arms over what could happen despite any actual evidence to back it up or even recognizing the benefits this brings.
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

And I like how you may think I'm outraged, I'm not. Disappointed yes, but I fall more in the meh category. Or better said "Team Notch"

I dislike facebook, I dislike everything facebook stands for and if it means I'll have to wait longer and look elsewhere for a VR device for my games, so be it.
    War... War never changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wurm View Post
    And I like how you may think I'm outraged, I'm not. Disappointed yes, but I fall more in the meh category. Or better said "Team Notch"

I dislike facebook, I dislike everything facebook stands for and if it means I'll have to wait longer and look elsewhere for a VR device for my games, so be it.
    It's not about you!

The outrage I speak of is apparent in most every gaming forum and new site. People are demanding refunds on kick-starter and even as going as far as comparing Occulus to the Nazi party (?). I find it hilarious!
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Great White Shark
    I'll admit that Facebook owning it makes me extremely nervous. I'm glad they got an influx of cash so they can get it to market.... I just don't know if I'll buy one right away now (I missed the Kickstarter).

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64

I think we have the same mindset James. My plan was to always wait until the tech matured and wider offering of VR media was able.

I'm not the biggest fan of Facebook, but it does provide the cash Occulus needs to really take off as well as leverage to push further into the software market and mainstream entertainment. I still have concerns about how "involved" Facebook will be but I think its too early to tell one way or another what will happen.

I will say, however, that the outrage does let Facebook/Occulus know just how emotional people are with this and that they need to be very clear and careful moving forward.