Chrome bookmarks causing computer to freeze?

Sharky Forums

Thread: Chrome bookmarks causing computer to freeze?

Catfish

Chrome bookmarks causing computer to freeze?

Hey all,
    I had this problem with Firefox, and now it's happening in Chrome. BAsically, with too many bookmarks, Chrome causes my computer to freeze but I can still move the mouse around.

So I go... CTRL+ALT+DELETE and I am able to eventually get it to unfreeze.

I'm just wondering, that after I've kind already figured this out, is there a program out there that I can use to manage my book marks, and also import my current bookmarks in Chrome?. Thanks in advance.,

Try moving your bookmarks into folders to see if that helps.
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

Catfish
    I would say half or more than half of my bookmarks were being moved into folders. But the problem still occurs, after deleting the majority of my bookmarks, and deleting most of the folders. Seriously, everything just freezes on my computer, and this even happens when I launch Firefox which just has a few bookmarks in folders.

I am running my computer off of a SSD alone, which is 240GB's. I thought things would be faster, but hopefully this is not a problem with the SSD and only with a piece of software somewhere. If anyone has any tips or ideas I would highly appreciate it. Cheers, and thanks in advance.

Could it be that the browsers are having a file issue due to the boot drive being an SSD?
    No Pentium yet!!!

CPU : AMD FX-56
    Mobo: ABIT KN9 SLI
    Mem : 2 x 512 Kingston
    GPU : ATI 850XT
    SND : Fatal1ty FPS X-FI by Creative
    HDD : Barrucuda SATA 200Gb
    KEY : Fatal1ty
    MOS : MS Laser

Great White Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by Pentium691 View Post
    Could it be that the browsers are having a file issue due to the boot drive being an SSD?
    Old SSD's would hitch and pause once they were filled up enough to force a read-modify-write situation. Newer ones have active garbage collection, and TRIM, assuming Win7/Win8 is the OS. So that shouldn't happen. That being said, if you completely fill up an SSD and give it no spare area to work with, even with it's built-in overprovisioning, you will hit a wall, especially with Sandforce based drives. They hit a point where they can be backed into a corner and can't recover.

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Old SSD's would hitch and pause once they were filled up enough to force a read-modify-write situation. Newer ones have active garbage collection, and TRIM, assuming Win7/Win8 is the OS. So that shouldn't happen. That being said, if you completely fill up an SSD and give it no spare area to work with, even with it's built-in overprovisioning, you will hit a wall, especially with Sandforce based drives. They hit a point where they can be backed into a corner and can't recover.
    NOBODY puts Sandy in a corner!

Insert ancient Sharky sig here
    [
    Prince Vindir of the OC Crusaders
    Holding Boundaries and Breaking Barriers

]

Great White Shark
    lol, nice.

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64

Catfish
    My drive like I said is 240GB's, and there is about 40GB's of space that is free. I remember using a 120GB drive with a 1TB and it never froze at all, but I had the browsers installed on the SSD...

I just had BitComet running while trying to load a page in Chrome, and all of the sudden the page would not load at all, so I wondered if my download was taking up the bandwidth. So I don't remember if I clicked on the BitComet tray icon, but it said with a message window saying "Please wait, disk is busy" or something. So the SSD I am using cannot take the pressure from having everything installed on it or something?. This is really weird.

Goldfish
    I had similar problem with firefox ,but it was BSOD ,and after complete reinstall problem gone.

Catfish
    Deleting all bookmarks in Chrome and starting over again did fix some of the freezing, but it still freezes once in awhile. I ordered a hard drive though so I can run Chrome and Firefox off of that, then I shouldn't have the freezing problem.