TrueCrypt End of Life ?!

Sharky Forums

Thread: TrueCrypt End of Life ?!

Goldfish

TrueCrypt End of Life ?!

Schneier on Security > TrueCrypt ***
    I have no idea what's going on with TrueCrypt. There's a good summary of the story at ArsTechnica, and Slashdot, Hacker News, and Reddit all have long comment threads. See also Brian Krebs and Cory Doctorow.

Speculations include a massive hack of the TrueCrypt developers, some Lavabit-like forced shutdown, and an internal power struggle within TrueCrypt. I suppose we'll have to wait and see what develops.

Tags: encryption, TrueCrypt
    Posted on May 29, 2014 at 8:02 AM42 Comments
    --

Over on Krebs they're saying:
    The anonymous developers responsible for building and maintaining the free whole-disk encryption suite TrueCrypt apparently threw in the towel this week, shuttering the TrueCrypt site and warning users that the product is no longer secure now that Microsoft has ended support for Windows XP.
    ?

Great White Shark
    The whole thing seems janky. The whole "We are ending it because Windows XP is dead" makes no sense to me. It's cross platform, open source, etc. There is a lot of speculation about the whole NSA request forcing them to shutdown thing. Seems somewhat likely, but who knows.

People are saying the latest decrypt-only version of the true crypt softare (7.2) is signed with the truecrypt key, so it looks genuine in that sense. That means that if someone hijacked it, they hijacked the whole thing, not just the website. But the whole website looks like it was pulled from some internal word document on how to setup encryption for various platforms.

Definitely doing a "wait and see" on this one. I have a few truecrypt filestores that I bounce around from machine to machine.

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64