Mac production line uses Windows?

Sharky Forums

Thread: Mac production line uses Windows?

Doesn't surprise me. Most production lines do.
    War... War never changes.

Great White Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
    True, but after all the Apple ads bashing Windows PCs ...
    They still use 3rd parties to build their hardware, and thus can't dictate the tools that they use, only the outcome of the production.

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
    True, but after all the Apple ads bashing Windows PCs ...
    Apple makes boxes for consumers. Windows has, and continues to, dominate the business and manufacturing space (although it's losing a little bit to Linux every day). I've never seen any OS X native applications for any kind of manufacturing. Apple's advertising or products have never really targeted that space.

Goldfish
    Didn't say they did. Their "Get a Mac" ad campaigns which pit a svelt and witty Justin Long ("Mac") against a frumpy and stodgy John Hodgman ("PC") attacked Windows PCs in general:

LOL... pwned!

Hammerhead Shark
    Well that company has been really screwing themselves. First they went after Samsung and ended up not using their hardware after having used it forever, and now they are such hypocrites about Winblows vs Crapple. If Windows was so bad, they wouldn't have started running dual boot (with Windows preinstalled) about 2009 (or before)? Their only true strength is in their advertising campaigns. Their advertising campaigns are probably the best in the world. They were able to make "Ipod" the generic name for mp3 player mp3 players had been around for a while already. If their products were to stand on their own without any advertising, it would be a really pathetic situation. Their tech support is dismal and a lot of the "certified" tech support guys in the Apple store don't know what they are doing or talking about. My mother has an Apple and she tried to get tech support from Apple at their official store for upgrades and repairs and the guy was saying to her in front of me that it was not possible for her to upgrade it's RAM and that she would need to buy a completely new computer. Needless to say, after going on Amazon and a few days later, she had double the RAM.

Apple makes boxes for consumers.
    QTFT. They are like Dell in that regard. Just more arrogant.

Windows has, and continues to, dominate the business and manufacturing space (although it's losing a little bit to Linux every day)
    Windows still has a large margin of the server world but Linux is taking that over slowly but surely. I know several guys who run their own IT business and they all say the same thing. Linux is becoming more reliable and efficient to utilize for servers.

MOBO: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
    CPU: i7-2700K @3.5 ghz
    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X 32GB (4 x 8GB)
    CPU COOLING:Corsair Hydro H80i
    VIDEO: MSI TF 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 760 OC N760 in SLI
    HDD: Intel 320-160GB SSD
    HDD: Samsung 840 250GB SSD
    MEDIA: Plextor Dual DVD
    PSU: CORSAIR HX750W
    CASE: Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Full Tower
    10 x64 Home Premium
    Monitor: AOC ,32" curved 1440p

Apple's strength isn't really advertising. Apple doesn't actually do the advertising.

Apple's strength has been two fold: design and manufacturing. They have been, for a long time, the only major player that actually spent a dollar on design. Not just how things look, but how they function. You could say that at some point Sony focused on design, but that was purely aesthetic. Most consumer PC hardware vendors exited the market before spending a dime on design, and Microsoft didn't even really consider "design" until about 2010.

The other thing that has actually allowed Apple to become one of the most valued companies is their manufacturing. You can crap on Apple all you want, but no one has matched them in terms of manufacturing. Forget what their products are and how they are marketed, they have done things in manufacturing that no one else dared. They have invented new process and scaled them in a way that other companies would have thought impossible.

Tim Cook is the true hero behind Apple. Steve Jobs had a vision, but that vision was reliant on doing things in manufacturing that were considered impossible or impractical. Tim Cook made it possible. Even today, no one has come close to what Apple is doing on the consumer hardware space. Samsung doesn't even run in the same league. The only other company I can think of that's even close to Apple is Tesla. When you actually look at what these guys are doing it's astonishing. They are just buying blocks of raw materials and forming them into products. They are inventing new kinds of displays and glass. Samsung might make a phone that's 10% thicker than an iPhone and you think nothing of it, but actually achieving this—and doing it at scale—is a huge engineering accomplishment.