Nothing on Watchdogs?

Sharky Forums

Thread: Nothing on Watchdogs?

Nothing on Watchdogs?

Wow, a triple A game isn't even noticed in Sharky forums....
    RIG:
    XCLIO 2000 Black & Titanium Case
    KingWin Gold Certified 80+ 1000 Watt PS
    Asus P8Z77-V Premium Motherboard
    Intel Core I7 3770K @ 5.0 gHz
    Corsair CWCH70 Hydro Series H80 CPU Liquid Cooler
    CORSAIR Vengence 16GB
    PowerColor Radeon 7990 6GB
    OCZ Vertex 3 SATA 3 SSD
    1TB WD Black Edition SATA 3 + 3TB Seagate SATA 3
    Panasonic DVD
    Windows 7 Ultimate - 64 bit

I "notice" fewer and fewer AAA games these days. Sometimes one will slip through that I'm interested in and enjoy but for the most part I'm an indie- and mid-tier guy these days.
    Comp - i7 950, Radeon HD 5870, 6gb DDR3 1600
    Currently Playing - Gravity Rush 2, DOOM (2017), Nex Machina
    Currently Reading - Dracula by Bram Stoker

"Watches You Sleep" Shark taggart6's Avatar
    Played a bit and found it repetitive and boring after an hour.

Fails to live up to the hype.
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Quote Originally Posted by taggart6 View Post

I felt the same way.

Interesting.

I find the game intriguing in a GTA meets Person of Interest kind of way. I find the vehicles undrivable which makes many missions impossible.
    RIG:
    CORSAIR Vengence 16GB
    OCZ Vertex 3 SATA 3 SSD
    Panasonic DVD

Only person I know who has it is Snakespy and he told me he thought it was "meh".
    War... War never changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wurm View Post
    Only person I know who has it is Snakespy and he told me he thought it was "meh".
    I guess I should do a review.

The graphics are cutting edge - it is the Crysis of this generation. I admit that does mean something to me.

Driving is awful, hopefully it will be patched. I find the hacking aspect to be loads of fun. I'm not very far in the story, so can't say if it's good or bad. I haven't really been in combat either, I've shot some bad buys, but it was literally pop them in the head situations.

I took an acid trip, which was weird, but very unique. I needed to bounce from flower to flower in a psychedelic world. The Chicago setting is huge, dwarfing the GTA worlds. Unfortunately, driving sucks. Even at low speeds the cars - ALL of them, spin out of control and behave like they are on a sheet of ice that was coated with oil. Cars look different - but they all behave exactly the same.
    RIG:
    CORSAIR Vengence 16GB
    OCZ Vertex 3 SATA 3 SSD
    Panasonic DVD

I actually saw the game at PAX last year and thought the tablet connectivity was pretty cool. Basically a guy on a tablet is acting as law enforcement and can activate things like roadblocks, helicopters, etc. on a map while the player is on screen trying to get away. I left that showing with a pretty favorable impression.

After that, though, the more I saw the more I just lost interest. Once I kept hearing some version of the phrase "I hacked the building" I knew it wasn't going to be my cup of tea.
    Comp - i7 950, Radeon HD 5870, 6gb DDR3 1600
    Currently Playing - Gravity Rush 2, DOOM (2017), Nex Machina
    Currently Reading - Dracula by Bram Stoker

What you gonna do?!? fastitocalon's Avatar
    I'll do another mini-review in the review thread, but in short i liked it, didn't love it.
    A true friend stabs you in the front.
    -Oscar Wilde

Gamertag: Kelkeen
    PSN ID: Kelkeen
    Heatware: Fastitocalon
    Steam: Fastitocalon

http://raptr.com/badge/dfea8180810e4...7590e2b/fs.png

I've been playing it quite a bit up until I went on a 7 day cruise. I've enjoyed it. I really like the missions and the game has good pacing for me. Yes some of it is repetitive, but what open world game isn't? Anyway I like it a lot more than I did GTA 5 that's for sure. There was a open world crime game I used to play on the xbox or ps2..I don't remember the name at all but this kind of reminds me of some of the feelings I had for that game. Wasn't reviewed very well but I enjoyed the heck out of it. Crime LA or something like that..I don't remember and don't feel like googling.

I'm far enough into the main campaign that I don't mind taking breaks and battling someone that invades me either. That's pretty cool and reminds me a bit of the MP in Assassins Creed, but more techno. The side missions are plentiful and some are pretty entertaining..as well as short and sweet. I can play for 30 minutes or 4 hours and have something to do at all times.
    Xbox gamertag: oWastelander
    Laptop: ASUS ROG Strix G15 AMD Advantage Ryzen 9 5980HX Radeon RX6800M
    ASUS 27 QHD 2K External Display
    Xbox Series X

Quote Originally Posted by taggart6 View Post

This.

I put in about 8-10 hours and haven't gotten back to it and have little desire to do so. The game is beautiful, the car crashes are stunning. And I really do enjoy the idea of someone dropping into my game and I have to find and kill them. That idea is going to lead to some GREAT things. What I really think is that Watch Dogs 2 will be incredible. Much like how Assassin's Creed 1 was horrid but intuitive, then AC2 was great.

However, I do have a handful of friends that absolutely loved it and thought it was a great game, but these are people that like every game for the most part.
    Last edited by Snakespy; 06-18-2014 at 07:52 PM.
    Currently playing: Destiny. NHL 15. (ONE) Stronghold Crusader 2. KF2 (PC).
    Gamer Tag: MajorPayne189 Steam ID: MajorPayne
    I7 930, Gigabyte x58a, 6 GB DDR3, 1 TB Black, Radeon 5850, Corsair 750W, Win 7 x64

I don't roll on Shabbos! Timman_24's Avatar
    I played it with my brother (who is a writer, which puts some of this in context.) I hadn't followed too much of the game since last E3 so I was thinking it would have some tongue-in-cheek humor and some referential material from 90's movies like Hackers. I didn't expect them to try to take it too seriously, but they did. The first mission set a decent tone but then everything went downhill extremely fast. The beginning of the downward spiral happened when they introduced his sister. The dialog between her and her child was terrible, obviously written by someone that has had no interaction with children in decades. Interestingly, they made the child mute, as to not have to write a child's dialog! My brother said a character being mute is often used with children because children are harder to write for most writers.

The worst part about the game is the dialog and characters. Aiden has absolutely no human qualities to him; no emotion. It was impossible to care at all about him or his "mission." Even when an important character dies in the game, he bends down, looks at them with a dead pan face, and then walks away.

The only character in the game that seemed somewhat genuine was a French-Canadian hacker girl. Surprise, surprise, Ubisoft can write an interesting french/canadian. But every other character in the game was stereotypical, even to the point of bigotry. GTA can get away with stereotypes because its a parody. When a game written in a serious tone uses them, it's kind of gross. Its not just a smattering of stereotypes, its every person in the area.

Walking through a ghetto I'd hear random black guys say things like: "All I got is my word and my balls." Yup. And apparently all that goes on in low income housing are people having sex and guys slinging dope.

With watchdogs it was easy to pierce the veil of the dialog and take a peek at who the writers are. It was pretty obvious that they did no consulting with anyone that lived in low income urban or rural areas. Whereas in GTA, the people that wrote Franklin and even the voice actor felt very genuine, they had either grown up in an urban area or consulted with people that had. They knew things and wrote dialog that only someone that had lived the life would know. Watchdogs had none of that. All rural people where "4th amendment types."

Writing a serious piece is hard, which is why most open world games are comical. My brother who is in graduate school said the writing most reminded him of his time teaching high school. High school caliber writing in a multi-million dollar game.
    PC: Corsair 550D
    4280k | Asus Rampage Gene | Mushkin 4x4GB | EVGA 780
    Intel 120GB SSD + 2TB Seagate | Seasonic 660 Plat
    2x Alphacool XT45 | Laing DDC | Bitspower

Currently playing: Civ 5
    Last Game Beaten: Walking Dead