Its one of those, "Oh I'll start it up just to see how my survivors are doing." and 4 hours later you are battling 3 hordes of zombies by yourself alone and desperate to survive.

It is far from perfect, and has some elements that make me want to pull my hair out. But damn I'm having fun.

Give you an example of some of the insanity from yesterday.

I decided to move my home base to a farm located further away from the city with more room. I got there, surveyed the surroundings, and cleared out the wandering "Zeds" that were close by.

As soon as I made the radio call and started the base upgrades...

A infestation appeared right across the road in the barn I just cleared out and a total of 4 hordes rushed the place. I had just switched to a survivor who's fighting skills were not leveled and he had a pump shotgun and a wrench as weapons.

So I started to kite. Luckily I had just done the "help the army" mission so I was able to call in artillery strikes on two of the hordes.

Around 20 frantic mins later all the "Zeds" were dead, my guy was badly hurt, out of ammo but still alive. He also leveled a few times.

My only big beefs with the game is it is buggy, but the devs do make an effort to fix them. And it is relentless in its pacing. I'm fine with nonstop action however a game should give you a few breathers once in a while to collect your wits. State of Decay has you fighting for your life every second of play, and it can (and does) become tiring.