security options in XP Pro?

Sharky Forums

Thread: security options in XP Pro?

Goldfish

Post security options in XP Pro?

I just did a clean install of XP Pro from Win2k Pro. There are a few things that I have not been able to "find" that I was familiar with in 2k.

First off, whatever happened to the function where one can set which user/user group for access to certain files/folders. I also would like to set certain folders to read-only by a few user group, and I can't find that familiar function anywhere. It seemed to me like the only files you can keep under privacy are under your document and setting folder.

Also, I had a few programs that I didn't bother to delete in another partition. I thought I'd be able to delete them after I got XP up and running as an administrator. I always could access all folders as an administrator in 2K, even folders that were created for privacy before. Now, in XP, logged in as an administrator, I am denied access to those files/folders. Is there a way around this? I've looked around for a while, and still don't see anything that I can do.

thanks,

------------------
    newbie linux user, happy as pig in mud!!!

Open an explorer window and go to Tools->Folder Options, View tab, scroll to the bottom of the Advanced Settings box and uncheck "Use simple file sharing". That'll give you back the normal file/folder permissions like you had in Win2K. As for not having access to some files, you should be able to give yourself that access via permissions.

------------------
    -BR
    Win2K/XP Tips and Tweaks
    The Slaughter House
    SF Linux Hippy Club
    -BR

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Goldfish

Originally posted by BloodRed:
    Open an explorer window and go to Tools->Folder Options, View tab, scroll to the bottom of the Advanced Settings box and uncheck "Use simple file sharing". That'll give you back the normal file/folder permissions like you had in Win2K. As for not having access to some files, you should be able to give yourself that access via permissions.

thanks, that did the trick. However, even though I gave myself as well as administrator and CREATOR/OWNER the full permission for those folders that I want to delete, it still won't let me do it. Tells me that permission denied. What give???

thanks,

------------------

Reef Shark

Some folders only have system access... Make sure you are listed as one of the people that has DELETE access... you may be able to create stuff in them, but not delete, meaning you only have read/write access and not delete.

------------------
    -=T'bird 1000=- | -=256 Crucial PC133=- | -=GeForce2 MX 32mb eVGA=- | -=Abit KT7a-Raid=- | -=40gb ata/100 WD=- | -=Sound Blaster Live!=-
    My Site -=[http://hzrd.us]=-
    Puter #1
    Athlon XP 2600+ @ 2.2GHz 11.5x190 | 2x512mb Corsair c2 3200 | Radeon 9800 Pro |Asus a7nx8 | WD 120GB/ Seagate SATA 120GB x 2

Puter #2
    T'bird 1000@1224 | 768 Crucial PC133 | GeForce2 MX 32mb eVGA | Abit KT7a-Raid | 40gb ata/100 WD | Sound Blaster Live!