linsys fsr41 router? will vpn work with it?

Sharky Forums

Thread: linsys fsr41 router? will vpn work with it?

Goldfish

Talking linsys fsr41 router? will vpn work with it?

sorry for whats most likely horriblely newbie question but here goes I just bought Linksys etherfast cable/dsl router with four port switch to share my dsl but also is there any way I can make a VPN to control my other pc though the NIC? My friend has four pc's(his house is lan wired) his net server, his desk top game box, a lap top in his bed room and a bookshelf pc in his living room (dvd/divx/ game emulator player) link all though his network. He controls it all from a single monitor hook up to his game pc and can make diferent apps, and control the different pc though VPN? I'm only look to control two pc my amd tbird pc and my old but still reliable 500 celron box. So my question is two fold. One, can I use the Linksys fsr41 for vpn like I would like , if no, what product would do a better job. Second if it is possible to create a vpn with this router/4port switch, would its native firmware handle the chores or would I need some windows/thrid party softwares solutions to make it work. If so what thrid party programes (hopefully resonablely price share or freeware) would handle these chores. Again I'm terriblely sorry if this is a horriblely dumb *** newbie question, but why not ask fellow end users thanx

[This message has been edited by bob-one (edited March 25, 2001).]

Goldfish

Talking

wow, I know it might be a dumb newbie question, which I'm forever sorry for, but somebody got have a idea, oppion or atleast a rant? thanx any ideas good news or bad would be greatfully appreceated.

Hammerhead Shark

You need a program like VNC or PCAnywhere to control them all from one workstation over a network. If you just plug in the cable to the linksys then it'll set everything up for that you need. You just need to prog.

------------------
    1.2Ghz 266fsb T-Bird
    kt7a-raid
    crucial 256mb pc133 cl2
    Leadtek GeForce2 GTS
    Maxtor 7200rpm 40gig ata66
    Mp3 Live!

Goldfish

Red face

Originally posted by anfpunk:
    You need a program like VNC or PCAnywhere to control them all from one workstation over a network. If you just plug in the cable to the linksys then it'll set everything up for that you need. You just need to prog.
    hey thank for the info although I think I'm one of a million who got a dud, I try all afternoon , doing exactly what the guide book said and no mofo go, I never could link up to the web all the connections were right the right lights were and nobody was home. oh well I go back to comp usa and see if I can exchange it or get the netgear equvilant? but pls keep the ideas comming.

[This message has been edited by bob-one (edited March 26, 2001).]

Goldfish

Talking

well I got the router up and running finally with a little trail and error, but its now work'n way cool . Oh by the way I got a link from a friend of my for the vnc freeware program he uses it called winvnc at http://www.cam-orl.co.uk/vnc/winvnc.html. thanx