There must be other forums... - Page 4

Sharky Forums

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: There must be other forums...

Quote Originally Posted by Timman_24 View Post
    I seem to have straddled the time between the generation of old guard and the new always-connected-social-crowd. It is an interesting perspective to have.
    I'm in the same boat. I think there's a lot of us like this here, but it's a pretty small demo overall. Basically anyone who was exploring the internet and PC gaming back in '95-'00 or so. I have a younger brother and a younger sister who are both in the always connected social club.

I think the saddest thing is that "social media" is anything but. It is far less social than just about any other form of media. Despite the fact that I've never met any of you, I probably know more about you guys than I do most of the people who I'm friends with on Facebook.

I don't roll on Shabbos! Timman_24's Avatar
    I have this constant image of the internet now being a bunch of people yelling at the sky. Most conversations online these days are:

1: Post obviously inflammatory headline or comment
    2: Endless people chime in using a sentence worth of information to formulate their response
    3: 2 -> 1, recursively (this process never converges to a solution however, har har)

I never got into reddit. I remember going there once a few years back and thinking it looked like a crappy forum from the 90's with its tree-like structure and never went back.

We had some good debates in the past and we were a constant community, unlike the post-a-comment-never-look-again type of discussions that I see now. It seems pointless to comment on anything when you don't know anyone on the site on a day-to-day basis such as Arstechnica or the news sites. Sharky seemed to have the perfect balance of member count between there being enough people to stimulate constant discussion but not too many where you couldn't form personal relationships.
    PC: Corsair 550D
    4280k | Asus Rampage Gene | Mushkin 4x4GB | EVGA 780
    Intel 120GB SSD + 2TB Seagate | Seasonic 660 Plat
    2x Alphacool XT45 | Laing DDC | Bitspower

Currently playing: Civ 5
    Last Game Beaten: Walking Dead

"Watches You Sleep" Shark taggart6's Avatar
    What we need is a reoccurring group community event. Maybe something where every month we have a weekend where people can come and go as they please to play that month's selected game. We could do a mix of open world survival, FPS, MOBA, and etc. Stuff like Rust, Starbound, BF4, Titanfall, DOTA2, and etc.

We would need a dedicate server and a group of people to coordinate.
    Last edited by taggart6; 05-15-2014 at 10:47 AM.
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Quote Originally Posted by taggart6 View Post
    What we need is a reoccurring group community event. Maybe something where every month we have a weekend where people can come and go as they please to play that month's selected game. We could do a mix of open world survival, FPS, MOBA, and etc. Stuff like Rust, Starbound, BF4, Titanfall, DOTA2, and etc.

We would need a dedicate server and a group of people to coordinate.
    I've started playing Smite recently... we could start there? Starcraft 2 is also free as long as you don't plan on laddering.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel Meat View Post
    Yeah I see you on the ps4 quite a bit. At least you are still gaming old man . I played BF4 on the ps4 for a while but the crappy graphics landed me back on my pc. Considering both the ps4 and pc is on the 55" tv with my 5.1, ill stick with bf4 on pc . Seeing them side by side was enough for me lol.

Have you played Infamous SS yet? Game is pretty legit.
    Yeah I got it day one and have played through the neon powers. I keep falling back to BF4 and FIFA14 though. I keep telling myself I just need to take a week and play it through, but whenever I get online I start getting popup invites 'dude we need you in here' and off I go to BF4 haha
    Xbox gamertag: oWastelander
    Laptop: ASUS ROG Strix G15 AMD Advantage Ryzen 9 5980HX Radeon RX6800M
    ASUS 27 QHD 2K External Display
    Xbox Series X

"Watches You Sleep" Shark taggart6's Avatar
    I'd be down for some Smite. Get a few of us playing against each other.
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Quote Originally Posted by taggart6 View Post
    I'd be down for some Smite. Get a few of us playing against each other.
    **** yeah. Add me, I'm Kamakazie in game and I mostly play Artemis.

I don't roll on Shabbos! Timman_24's Avatar
    Is Smite a MOBA? I've never played one of those.
    PC: Corsair 550D
    4280k | Asus Rampage Gene | Mushkin 4x4GB | EVGA 780
    Intel 120GB SSD + 2TB Seagate | Seasonic 660 Plat
    2x Alphacool XT45 | Laing DDC | Bitspower

Currently playing: Civ 5
    Last Game Beaten: Walking Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Timman_24 View Post
    Is Smite a MOBA? I've never played one of those.
    It is, but it's played from the 3rd person rather than in an RTS style. It's the first MOBA I've played where I haven't felt completely overwhelmed and useless, so it gets my seal of approval.

Quote Originally Posted by Learux View Post
    I am still here once in a while. Nice to see you all still around.
    Same for me, I've yet to find a decent gaming forum without stuff like platform wars etc...
    Professional lurker

I post a bit and lurk everyday on Guru3d. Its pretty active and the gaming forum is always busy. Give that a go, I really like it there. Site has really good reviews on hardware too.
    Steam- DerSchniffles
    Gigabyte z77-UD3H
    Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.5
    8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR 3 1600
    Sony AVR with 5.1/Asus Xonar DG
    EVGA GTX760 @ 1241/7000
    60 gig OS and 240 gig Game SSD's
    55" Vizio Tv/32" Vizio
    Logitech G700s Mouse and K520 Keyboard

[Insert witty title here] Spaceman Spiff's Avatar
    Anandtech.com has pretty good gaming forums, both console and PC. Been posting there off and on since 2003.

Not too small, not too big. I despise places where you post something and it has disappeared off the first page within a few hours. Pretty good moderation in the tech sections as well.
    Just STAY AWAY from the festering cesspit that is "Off-Topic" or Politics and News. Ugh.
    Last edited by Spaceman Spiff; 05-31-2014 at 04:20 AM.
    Current System
    | Intel Core i7 950 | Gigabyte X58A-UD3R | OCZ 6Gb DDR3 1600 | PNY GeForce GTX 570 | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 7 Pro x64

Currently Playing: The Old Republic, Fallout New Vegas, Xenoblade Chronicles
    Last Completed:Super Mario Land 3D..... 8.5/10

Quote Originally Posted by ImaNihilist View Post
    Ah, the niche forum. This is the platform of a true PC gamer. Not as cluttered or random as reddit; an elegant platform for a more civilized age. For over a decade, message boards were the guardians of social media in the Old Internet. Before the dark times... before The Facebook.

Only a few large message boards remain. 4chan, IGN to some extent, etc.. Everything else has moved to reddit, Facebook or message boards owned by individual publishers (Blizzard, Riot, et al.).
    LOL. I thought I was the only to morph Star Wars quotes.

"So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb." - Dark Helmet

100% Green Poster. ZERO Carbon Emissions.

Demetrius I of Macedon was offended when the Spartans sent his court a single envoy, and exclaimed angrily, "What! Have the Lacedaemonians sent no more than one ambassador?" The Spartan responded, "Aye, one ambassador to one king."

90% of all gaming news seems to originate on reddit and neogaf so thats where i have been frequenting more..

what i like about reddit is that i can concentrate on subreddits of games i am currently playing... ie i visit the titanfall subreddit to get the latest updates about titanfall from many other titanfall fans whereas on sharky there might be 3 other titanfall players scattered around various generic threads. i also spend time in the oculus rift and eliete dangerous subreddits.

if you can get past the elitist attitudes of neogaf, it is where you are going to find probably the most original and insightful gaming news from inside sources

i mostly lurk for scoops now as i dont have the time to go back and forth with discussions
    Last edited by kpxgq; 07-27-2014 at 02:29 PM.
    bitfenix prodigy, i5 4670k, asrock z87e-itx, zotac gtx 970, crucial m500 msata, seasonic x650, dell st2220t

i <3 u guys =D
    Batou's evil twin
    Quote Originally Posted by Concerned Citizen View Post
    im a homosexual but i disliike obama for his non-*** policies
    Quote Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
    I'm happy for you. Why don't you go pick up a case of AIDS.