Starcraft to be three games. Not what you think. - Page 3

Sharky Forums

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starcraft to be three games. Not what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by KaoTiK View Post
    What is with all of these expectations?

You guys assume that because its not going to include all of the races the original did, the first part of this trilogy is only 1/3rd of the game? So you decide how much content dictates a full game now, instead of the developer?

So let me get this straight, 3 fully developed and orchestrated individual campaigns is a bad thing where 3 shorter less intricate campaigns is better?

Or, assuming each campaign is 15-20 hours each, you're just pissed because you have to pay full price for 3 full games, rather than getting 3 games for the price of one? What made you assume you'd get 3 games for the price of one in the first place? Where did the assumption that the 3 games will be neutered come from anyway?

You all know what they say about making assumptions...
    **** YOU.

I AM THE LAW!

Quote Originally Posted by KaoTiK View Post
    What is with all of these expectations?

You guys assume that because its not going to include all of the races the original did, the first part of this trilogy is only 1/3rd of the game? So you decide how much content dictates a full game now, instead of the developer?

So let me get this straight, 3 fully developed and orchestrated individual campaigns is a bad thing where 3 shorter less intricate campaigns is better?

Or, assuming each campaign is 15-20 hours each, you're just pissed because you have to pay full price for 3 full games, rather than getting 3 games for the price of one? What made you assume you'd get 3 games for the price of one in the first place? Where did the assumption that the 3 games will be neutered come from anyway?

You all know what they say about making assumptions...
    No it's really crappy IF there is no way to play as the other races single player in one version, which is what it seems to be. Some people don't play multiplayer. Also, I find it laughable that they're considering charging for "parts of Battlenet because they can't keep making the games they do and not charge for it". Oh please, just stop right there. As if the oceans of money WoW is brining in can't sustain your company BY ITSELF. It just reeks of greed. Because they know their fans will lovingly bend over for them.
    my rig

cpu: Intel Core i5-2500K @ 4.5ghz
    mobo: AsRock Z68 Extreme4
    ram: 4x4gig GSkill Ripjaw X ddr3 1866
    cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
    mouse: Logitech G500
    video: MSI GeForce GTX 670 OC 2GB
    hdd(s): Crucial M4 SSD 240 gig (Windows 7)
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (data drive)
    dvd +/- r: Pioneer 111D D/L
    monitor: 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
    psu: PC P&C 610W
    chassis: NZXT Phantom

I don't roll on Shabbos! Timman_24's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dyne View Post
    No it's really crappy IF there is no way to play as the other races single player in one version, which is what it seems to be. Some people don't play multiplayer. Also, I find it laughable that they're considering charging for "parts of Battlenet because they can't keep making the games they do and not charge for it". Oh please, just stop right there. As if the oceans of money WoW is brining in can't sustain your company BY ITSELF. It just reeks of greed. Because they know their fans will lovingly bend over for them.
    It reeks of a successful business plan. Sorry, but blizzard isn't in this so geeks can have a good time. They make games for money. To make money, they make geeks happy so that said geeks keep buying their games.

Multiplayer will have all the races. The single player will have one full campaign. They will be releasing expansions for the other factions. What's better?

1 game- 1 campaign involving all the races that lasts ~5hours per race. Without much follow up like what happened with the original star craft.
    or
    3 games- spread out of 3 campaigns, each 20+ hours long. 60+ hours of gameplay over 2-3 years.

I rather like the idea of blizzard commiting to SC for 3 games. I liked SC and am glad they are going to be pumping out new campaigns for it. I like it much more than them releasing just one game and then that's all we get.
    PC: Corsair 550D
    4280k | Asus Rampage Gene | Mushkin 4x4GB | EVGA 780
    Intel 120GB SSD + 2TB Seagate | Seasonic 660 Plat
    2x Alphacool XT45 | Laing DDC | Bitspower

Currently playing: Civ 5
    Last Game Beaten: Walking Dead

Quote Originally Posted by ImaNihilist View Post
    **** YOU.

I AM THE LAW!
    lol, much <3 Nihilist.

Quote Originally Posted by dyne View Post
    So it's greed you're concerned about. A holier-than-thou attitude toward a business. You do realize that businesses are more interested in your money than your approval right?

Sure, WoW probably brings in loads of profit, as it should. And why should Blizzard use that profit to continue providing Battle.net as a free service? I always wondered why they provided it for free in the first place. Again with the expectations. Just because you think it should be free doesn't mean it should be in reality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazie
    Yeah... I wasn't paying attention, I was killing trees.

Greed=business. Don't be a hipocryt either saying they are greedy when you are saying the same thing about yourself not wanting to pay for all 3 games. I can't wait until all these wonderful games come out from blizzard
    Currently playing: Destiny. NHL 15. (ONE) Stronghold Crusader 2. KF2 (PC).
    Gamer Tag: MajorPayne189 Steam ID: MajorPayne
    I7 930, Gigabyte x58a, 6 GB DDR3, 1 TB Black, Radeon 5850, Corsair 750W, Win 7 x64

i never played Blizzard RTS for their single player campaigns anyways... they are usually the gold standard for online/tournament play....
    bitfenix prodigy, i5 4670k, asrock z87e-itx, zotac gtx 970, crucial m500 msata, seasonic x650, dell st2220t

It's going to backfire on them anyway, so who cares? Everyone is going to buy the first version for the CD key and multiplayer, and then pirate the other two.

I will not be purchasing this game. I will burn in hell.

I don't roll on Shabbos! Timman_24's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DJBeanPole17 View Post
    I will not be purchasing this game. I will burn in hell.
    Tis not a FPS, so of course you aren't going to purchase it
    PC: Corsair 550D
    4280k | Asus Rampage Gene | Mushkin 4x4GB | EVGA 780
    Intel 120GB SSD + 2TB Seagate | Seasonic 660 Plat
    2x Alphacool XT45 | Laing DDC | Bitspower

Currently playing: Civ 5
    Last Game Beaten: Walking Dead

Reef Shark
    So what's to stop people from buying the Multiplayer one and pirating the Single Player expansions? Not saying I'll do it, just that it seems like a fairly obvious problem as multiplayer is the number one way to prevent piracy.
    Last edited by Concerned Citizen; 10-13-2008 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Concerned Citizen View Post
    So what's to stop people from buying the Multiplayer one and pirating the Single Player expansions? Not saying I'll do it, just that it seems like a fairly obvious problem as multiplayer is the number one way to prevent piracy.
    They could always add new content for multiplayer. Something like new units, new maps that are dependent on new environment types, etc.

Oh it gets better. Welcome to the 3+ year plan.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/13/bl...e-3-year-plan/

Blizzard's Vice President of Game Design Rob Pardo wants us to think about Starcraft 2's two followups, containing the Zerg and Protoss single player campaigns, as expansion packs, so does that mean they won't contain as much gameplay as the Terran-based initial game? Plus, you'll have to wait at least whole year between "expansions." Said Pardo, "With any luck, it would be like a year for each successive one, but that's going to be a target date, that's not a promise."

Since SC2 won't be out until 2009, you won't be able to play the Protoss single player until at least 2011. That's a long time to wait. Check out what Rob said after the break, and start yer speculatin'.
    my rig

cpu: Intel Core i5-2500K @ 4.5ghz
    mobo: AsRock Z68 Extreme4
    ram: 4x4gig GSkill Ripjaw X ddr3 1866
    cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
    mouse: Logitech G500
    video: MSI GeForce GTX 670 OC 2GB
    hdd(s): Crucial M4 SSD 240 gig (Windows 7)
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (data drive)
    dvd +/- r: Pioneer 111D D/L
    monitor: 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
    psu: PC P&C 610W
    chassis: NZXT Phantom

Gaming just ain't what it used to be these days.

Quote Originally Posted by DJBeanPole17 View Post
    Gaming just ain't what it used to be these days.
    It really isn't. I bought the original and it came with all three campaigns, notepad,full instruction manual, and a map creator. Crazy times back then.
    For a good time add SenorDestro to your 360 and Steam friend list. PSN: PoopRiot

Seriously, everyone needs to calm down about SC2. Instead of getting 3 campaigns, we will end up getting 1 campaign that is 3x as long. We all expect an expansion anyways, with new story and units, so how is 2 expansions any different? Just because you can't play all 3 race's campaign story? That's just a silly thing to get mad about. The Terran campaign will obviously be getting more attention, resulting in a stronger, more well put together product. When has Blizzard really dropped the ball in the presentation of their games? We've always trusted them to do the right thing before, I don't see why everyone has their panties in a wad now.

With a year in between each campaign, I'd expect a full epic story, no different than waiting for any of the episodes of Half Life (except SC2 campaigns will probably be longer).

Also, I'm sure the expansions won't cost 50, but probably 40, like previous released expansions like Frozen Throne, Burning Crusade, and the up and coming Wrath of the Litch King.